Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A list of my current favorite books, as promised

This is not a complete list of my favorite books, but they are the ones that come to mind right now:
After you've read, Wesley the Owl, you might want to read more about animals from the point of view of an ethologist, biologist, or naturalist. Here are some of my all time favorites:

In the Shadow of Man by Jane Goodall - this is her first book and the best one to get yourself introduced to her life among the chimps. After that, there are many other books of hers to enjoy. I particularly like her two volumes of letters home about her life w/ the chimpanzees of Gombe, starting with
Africa in My Blood: An Autobiography in Letters: The Early Years

Never Cry Wolf - by Farley Mowat: He lived smack in the middle of a wolf pack for a year and a half, even eating a diet of mice to prove that a large mammal could do this. The wolves were living primarily off of mice, only occasionally hunting for caribou. A classic!

The Good Good Pig - by S y Montgomery. Great! She raised a pig for 14 years and had a marvelous relationship with him. Then read her other amazing books. (Spell of the Tiger: The Man-Eaters of Sundarbans; Journey of the Pink Dolphins: An Amazon Quest ; and many others from a female Indiana Jones crossed with Jane Goodall!)

Birdology: Adventures with a Pack of Hens, a Peck of Pigeons, Cantankerous Crows, Fierce Falcons, Hip Hop Parrots, Baby Hummingbirds, and One Murderously Big Living Dinosaur - by Sy Montgomery: Just out! I'm reading it now. Fantastic book!

An Eagle Named Freedom: My True Story of a Remarkable Friendship by Jeff Guidry (in pre-order on Amazon, out May 4. Similar to my story of Wesley and me and our relationship).

The Mind of the Raven - by Berndt Heinrich: Amazing! About how ravens think, plan, make tools...readable too!
One Man's Owl - also Berndt Heinrich ( I didn't allow myself to read it until after I finished writing Wesley the Owl so I wouldn't inadvertantly quote him or anything).

Marc Bekoff's books. Hard to pick a favorite, but I think in this case, read WILD JUSTICE: REFLECTIONS ON EMPATHY, FAIR PLAY, AND MORALITY IN ANIMALS. Marc gets it. He's cofounder of the Jane Goodall Institute and has spent many years studying coyotes at Colorado University in Boulder.

Lynne Cox - Grayson: Lynne is a coldwater swimmer and one day while out in the ocean she was approached by a lost baby gray whale looking for his mom. She helps him find her! AMazing!

Illumination in the Flatwoods: A Season with the Wild Turkey by Joe Hutto

That Quail, Robert by Margaret A. Stanger

Alex & Me: How a Scientist and a Parrot Uncovered a Hidden World of Animal Intelligence--and Formed a Deep Bond in the Process by Irene M. Pepperberg
The Alex Studies: Cognitive and Communicative Abilities of Grey Parrots by Irene M. Pepperberg

Merle's Door: Lessons from a Freethinking Dog by Ted Kerasote

The Singing Life of Birds: The Art and Science of Listening to Birdsong by Donald E. Kroodsma (goes deeply into bird behavior and bird song)

Chosen by a horse: how a broken horse fixed a broken heart. by Susan Richards

Hawk Hill by Suzie Gilbert and Sylvia Long

--------------
Want something a little more hard core and scientific? Papers/essays by cognitive ethologists and other behavioral biology types: Try this: Animal Cognition in Nature: The Convergence of Psychology and Biology in Laboratory and Field (Hardcover)
~ R. P. Balda (Editor), I. M. Pepperberg (Editor), A. C. Kamil

Cognition, Evolution, and Behavior by Sara J. Shettleworth

Well, these ought to get you started after you've read Wesley the Owl! There's a ton of amazing stuff and adventure and love in these books!

-Stacey

ps" EVA! I'm translating the blog into Portuguese and Spanish. Do you read Portuguese? It's easier for me to translate into Portuguese which is why I asked...

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessica said...

After I read Wesley (twice) I immediately went out and bought That Quail, Robert; The Good Good Pig and Alex and Me. All of which were wonderful, fascinating books. I'm also trying to get through the Bekoff book but I tend to read several books at once, so it has sat untouched for a few months now. I'm looking forward to getting back to it, although all these owls have made me want to reread Wesley again.

Unknown said...

wow, that is such a good list, Stacey! Thank you!